With all the focus on the diminishing attention and the general availability of time in my life, I spent some time itemizing what I do and throwing it into a spreadsheet, just to get an idea of how much time I’m investing in social media.
That sleep bar continues to shrink – can’t be good.
- Travel – Commute, Air travel
- Friends – Directly engaged and interacting in person
- Family – Engaged as a dad, husband, son, brother, uncle, cousin
- TV – Various – family overlay most of the time
- Sleep – dreaming, REM, tossing, turning
- Email – Personal – private, Personal – public, Spam, Work
- Social Media – Reading, writing, searching, thinking, posting
- Work – Thinking, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, speaking
- Meetings – Listening, learning, sharing, watching, talking
So I’m on the lookout for a new productivity tool for social media and this whole FriendFeed is a great candidate for my new social interface. Can’t imagine the time slice of social media Chris Brogan, Aaron Brazell or Erin Kotecki Vest have on their spreadsheets, I bet their sleep bar is considerably smaller than mine.