The airport in Austin was just covered in Willie Nelson stuff yesterday on his 75th birthday. Meant to post yesterday, but life as it is.
The Drive-By Truckers – Gravity’s Gone
My last two REAL dead shows…….
The Palace, Auburn Hills, MI (Tuesday 6/27/95)
Greatest Story ->
Ramble On Rose
Queen Jane Approximately
Lazy River Road
Don’t Ease Me In
Victim or the Crime ->
It’s All Too Much
The Last Time ->
Standing on the Moon ->
* Bobby on Acoustic
The Palace, Auburn Hills, MI (Wednesday 6/28/95)
Good Morning Little Schoolgirl
Black Throated Wind
Tom Thumb’s Blues
Big Railroad Blues
The Music Never Stopped
China Cat Sunflower ->
I Know You Rider
Way to Go Home
Uncle John’s Band ->
Easy Answers ->
Attics of My Life ->
E: Lucy In The Sky
Not a bad two day run….
For those of you that don’t know what SXSW is – it’s a big ass party with really cool gift bags, if you have the right pass. Previously centered around music and indie film, it is increasingly a place for interactive media. The last time I went was 2001. I had a flip phone the size of a brick and a $400 cell bill that month – oh roaming, maybe that was the first time.
The older I get the more cities and experiences blur, especially the same city and the same event, so my 3 times being in Austin during SXSW have become a memory mashup with a little bit of 2 ACL’s thrown in. Nevertheless here is my list:
- Seeing REM – It’s been 6 or 7 years since the last time I saw them. You have to have priorities
- Seeing Darryl Hall and Friends, I mean what is Hall without Oates? I guess Oates isn’t considered a friend anymore. You’re curious too and I bet you never saw them either so new is good. Rock n Soul Pt 1 is like the album of a generation.
- The Flagstock Poster Show
- I would use cerado’s Pocket Guide to find twitter friends, that sounds weird, but it’s what I would do.
- People watch from the lobby of the intercontinental and random around 6th a good deal.
- Catching up with folks I know in Austin (John P, Eric S, Dan W & Trey)
- Sharing my experience via my iPhone.
It’s weird, my top priorities would be music, then art, then media. It is what it is… I probably wouldn’t even buy an IA badge. It’s all theoretical anyhow, since I’m sitting at home with 2 kids, 2 dogs, 6 episodes of Super Why on the Tivo, an internet connection and just enough Easy Mac to make it through the weekend.
Oddly enough – I think I have more of an opportunity at home, than on the road. Priorities indeed.