For those of you that don’t know what SXSW is – it’s a big ass party with really cool gift bags, if you have the right pass. Previously centered around music and indie film, it is increasingly a place for interactive media. The last time I went was 2001. I had a flip phone the size of a brick and a $400 cell bill that month – oh roaming, maybe that was the first time.
The older I get the more cities and experiences blur, especially the same city and the same event, so my 3 times being in Austin during SXSW have become a memory mashup with a little bit of 2 ACL’s thrown in. Nevertheless here is my list:
- Seeing REM – It’s been 6 or 7 years since the last time I saw them. You have to have priorities
- Seeing Darryl Hall and Friends, I mean what is Hall without Oates? I guess Oates isn’t considered a friend anymore. You’re curious too and I bet you never saw them either so new is good. Rock n Soul Pt 1 is like the album of a generation.
- The Flagstock Poster Show
- I would use cerado’s Pocket Guide to find twitter friends, that sounds weird, but it’s what I would do.
- People watch from the lobby of the intercontinental and random around 6th a good deal.
- Catching up with folks I know in Austin (John P, Eric S, Dan W & Trey)
- Sharing my experience via my iPhone.
It’s weird, my top priorities would be music, then art, then media. It is what it is… I probably wouldn’t even buy an IA badge. It’s all theoretical anyhow, since I’m sitting at home with 2 kids, 2 dogs, 6 episodes of Super Why on the Tivo, an internet connection and just enough Easy Mac to make it through the weekend.
Oddly enough – I think I have more of an opportunity at home, than on the road. Priorities indeed.
Blog: 7 Things I could be doing at SXSW: For those of you that don’t know what SXSW is – it&.. http://tinyurl.com/3cnptr