Seeing there was a session on “how to blog at work and not get dooced” @ sxsw, I decided to poke around and find at least 1 post that appears to be on the fence of dooce-ableness. It took a while – but I found it on MEGO, My Eyes Glaze Over.
Is that meGO or MEEgo? — I’m not sure how you would pronounce it in Canadian or French for that matter. The excerpt below is the dooce candidate:
You see it isn’t only on my blog that I rant and rave about RSS, social media, podcasting and digital marketing. I spend a lot of time at work trying to open people’s eyes about the changing landscape of the Marketing and Communication field. I remained positive throughout 2007, seeing possibilities in a new budget and a new plan for 2008. But as 2007 drew to a close and my marketing plans for 2008 and my budgets were cut and misappropriated (in my opinion), I began to see that the company, wouldn’t be giving in to these “new marketing” ways any time soon!
The thing about budget season is it is all about posturing and positioning a ROI. These new marketing ways are transformational, so head up and keep reading business books. I recommend interviewing books next.
BTW it’s a well written blog and cool incorrect spelling and stuff. – colour, favourite… What’s a shreddie?
For those of you that don’t know what SXSW is – it’s a big ass party with really cool gift bags, if you have the right pass. Previously centered around music and indie film, it is increasingly a place for interactive media. The last time I went was 2001. I had a flip phone the size of a brick and a $400 cell bill that month – oh roaming, maybe that was the first time.
The older I get the more cities and experiences blur, especially the same city and the same event, so my 3 times being in Austin during SXSW have become a memory mashup with a little bit of 2 ACL’s thrown in. Nevertheless here is my list:
- Seeing REM – It’s been 6 or 7 years since the last time I saw them. You have to have priorities
- Seeing Darryl Hall and Friends, I mean what is Hall without Oates? I guess Oates isn’t considered a friend anymore. You’re curious too and I bet you never saw them either so new is good. Rock n Soul Pt 1 is like the album of a generation.
- The Flagstock Poster Show
- I would use cerado’s Pocket Guide to find twitter friends, that sounds weird, but it’s what I would do.
- People watch from the lobby of the intercontinental and random around 6th a good deal.
- Catching up with folks I know in Austin (John P, Eric S, Dan W & Trey)
- Sharing my experience via my iPhone.
It’s weird, my top priorities would be music, then art, then media. It is what it is… I probably wouldn’t even buy an IA badge. It’s all theoretical anyhow, since I’m sitting at home with 2 kids, 2 dogs, 6 episodes of Super Why on the Tivo, an internet connection and just enough Easy Mac to make it through the weekend.
Oddly enough – I think I have more of an opportunity at home, than on the road. Priorities indeed.